Saturday, June 27, 2009

Huntington Gardens Take 2

So, yes, we did make it to the Huntington Gardens again. And this time I took some photos of what I was talking about the last time. This is the pathway to the entrance lined with jacarandas.
We got to see a lot more of the gardens this time too. This looks like something out of a Dr. Suess book to me.
If you like succulents, this weekend would be a great time to visit...

Cactus and Succulent Show and Sale

cactusshowJune 27–28
Saturday–Sunday
10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Hundreds of award-winning plants will be on view as the Cactus and Succulent Society of America presents its annual show and sale. Included will be rare specimens native to Chile, Argentina, Botswana, Madagascar, and the Middle East. An early-bird plant sale will be held on Friday, June 26, from 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Free. Show in Friends’ Hall, sale on Jacaranda Walk.

Bamboo forests...Bastien kept asking me if this was "real" bamboo. I think this is because Jason and I had commented on the fake bamboo at Disneyland looking so real and he remembered that. Wow.
Lovely lily ponds with giant koi.


The kids sat and watched a mama duck with her babies for quite awhile.



Is this not the PERFECT tree for a treehouse?!!!
We discovered another little area that the kids fell in love with. There's not much to it...just some spirals dug into the ground,
but the kids could have stayed here for hours just running around.
Next we checked out the Japanese Gardens. I didn't take enough pictures, but really it's something you should just experience in person. Here's a little taste...

They also have a little bonsai garden. I love miniature things, so this was right up my alley. This looks like a tiny forest, right?
We happened to be at the Huntington at a semi historic time. This is called a Corpse Flower and it is quite rare. This plant hasn't bloomed in the Huntington since 2002. We were 4 days too early for the actual opening of the bloom but apparently that is a good thing. It's supposed to smell like rotted meat. Yum...
Back to the Children's Garden, and the kids headed straight for the fountains!








This was the part of the garden I was trying to describe that has the slot in the wall where you drop pebbles through and it makes music. The pictures aren't that helpful, but it's such a great thing. I want one in my backyard. This can keep a toddler fascinated for a long time.

One nice moneysaving tip for those of you planning on visiting. The first Thursday of the month is free, but you have to reserve tickets in advance. On regular days, it a bit pricey but definitely worth every penny!

1 comment:

  1. I just love that Huntington Gardens . It looks great. We can try to go when I come to LA the next time.

    ReplyDelete