Monday, June 29, 2009

John Wayne

Our Aunt Susie has been getting the kids the coolest gifts. She has been searching out things from her own childhood. First we got a vintage set of Old Maid cards.


These are my favorite ones...


She also found an old tin spinning top which she restored beautifully. It's so great and both of the kids love it.

Then, she found a doll that she apparently did some major restoration on. She picked it for Isabella because she thought it looked so much like Isabella. And it does!! My mom made a little dress for her and then one for Isabella that matches. When I get some pictures, I'll post those. But this post is about John Wayne.

Anyway, Bastien has been a bit jealous. He has been wanting a doll for awhile now and we have been kind of old school about it all. With the "those dolls are for girls" business. But I finally caved in Cabo this Xmas and let Isabella pick a "boyfriend" doll...

and he got a little "girlfriend" one...


Well...After sending Isabella her vintage doll, Aunt Susie decided Bastien needed a vintage male doll of his own and found....you guessed it, John Wayne.



John Wayne is a bad ass and I'm loving that Bastien has this doll. He has a hat too, he just wasn't wearing it for these photos. And a rifle, which you do see. That's actually what Bastien is trying to show in these pictures.
I had so much fun showing Bastien John Wayne on YouTube. What was really funny was that in searching through YouTube videos, I landed on this one.... I love how he talks about how "corny" his values might be and "old fashioned" (that says so much about the 60s). Unfortunately, those values aren't associated so much with being "corny" and "old fashioned" as being "narrow minded"(religious) and "warmongering"(Support The Troops). I think on this day especially, it would be nice to think about the good intentions of those values. Hmmmmm......

So, John Wayne...
This is who he's been hanging out with lately.


Interesting group of friends, no?
Happy Birthday America.

1 comment:

  1. I love the dolls! John Wayne looks a bit stuffy though. I wouldn't want him at a party.

    Lotta Noise reminds me of the character Michelle Pfeiffer played in "The Witches of Eastwick". How in the world do I remember that piece of trivia when I can't remember half of my grocery list?!!!

    ReplyDelete