Sunday, June 7, 2009

Trip To Disneyland!

Who doesn't love this place? I recently read a book

about the 1950s and it had a whole chapter on Disneyland in it.  What was interesting to learn was that Walt Disney had a hard time convincing people that it would be profitable and had to fund all the initial planning himself.  Another interesting thing I found out somewhere else is that Tomorrowland is supposed to be set in 1986.  I have to say, I LOVE the Tomorrowland aesthetic.  I wish 1986 did look like this.
They've got some really cool posters in the Tomorrowland restaurant.  This was my fave...

We had lots of the usual fun...



Tip for parents.  If you have two kids and one of them is under 4 yrs old, I suggest a babysitter or grandparent type willing to stroller the little one around for a nap.  It was my birthday so I got in free and used the savings to bring Zurico (the best babysitter in the world).


This worked out perfectly.  While Isabella was asleep, we took Bastien with us on The Matterhorn, Star Tours, and yes....Space Mountain!! I finally got to ride Space Mountain after 30+ years, and it lived up to all the hype.  I'd love to just spend a whole day riding around on that ride.  It is sooooo awesome!  Bastien said it was his favorite ride too.  But then he also told me he had his eyes closed the whole time, so....?  I think his favorite was really It's A Small World.  I love this one too.  It's definitely....

This ride reminds me a lot of the 1970's Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory movie which Bastien has been obsessed with lately (His favorite part is when Violet turns into a blueberry). Doesn't this look like the river of chocolate?


 I love the architecture of the building...



and all the cute signs too...  




I would love to design a ride like this myself.  With only one ride,  I probably wouldn't make as much as Disney does,  but I think I could draw a pretty good money paying crowd.  Anyone want to invest?  
By the way, it's very neat to ride it at night when they have it decorated during Christmas time.

About Star Tours, check out the walk to the ride.  Very Gary Numan 1980's.   (so maybe there is something to the "set in 1986" thing after all).







He looks pretty thrilled, huh?
I loved this mural too that was near some bathrooms.
I think Bastien had as much fun running around on this as he did on all the real rides.


Finally, we went on the Alice ride of course...

This guy's such a bastard.



Love these birds.

Hey bud.

We even got to meet Alice, the White Rabbit, and the Mad Hatter.  Bastien was a little apprehensive...


but he got over it...
Isabella was downright scared.  So....

...no Isabella.  Too funny since she's the one with the Alice themed room.  Oh well...





1 comment:

  1. I'm so HAPPY to see this!! Space Mountain was actually my first roller coaster ride, sometime in the late 70's. I returned to Disney in the late 90's with a boyfriend, and we giggled about Tomorrowland. It looked like Yesterland at the time! Love, love, love to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete